Saturday, August 26, 2006

Gift Cards

I'm really opposed to the idea of money as a present. Getting cash for Christmas seems to really take the spirit out of the holiday. That said, I don't have as much of a problem with gift cards. Especially since so many of the items I want are either obscure or, more likely, too expensive to reasonably be a gift, getting a gift certificate for a store I frequent could be the next best thing. Such cards were partly how I managed to buy myself a PSP in 2005, along with saving, and of course, ignoring imporant things to save for.

So, if you're having trouble finding something for me, feel free to get a gift card. Here are a few places that already have more of my money than I'd like to admit:

Best Buy, the friendly neighborhood electronics superstore. I get a lot of video games there, along with the occasional movie or computer accesory.

Fry's Electronics, located right here in Austin. They're especially handy being practically right next to my ACC campus, and I'd like to start modifying my new desktop computer with some of their parts.

Borders, the big bookstore. I'm not sure if their gift cards are good at Waldenbooks, though I know there's a Borders Express in the Lakeline mall that I'd bet would take their card. By the way, I realize that Borders and Barnes and Noble are pretty much the same thing, but I wanted to pick one over the other so I wouldn't have to go to two places for basically the same thing (books), or, say, end up with $5 for one store and $4 for the other, but the book I want is $9. Of course, I end up in Barnes and Nobles enough that I'll spend their card just as easily, anyway.

Suncoast Video. It's probably the best movie store I've come across. They've got the widest selection of semi-obscure videos this side of the Internet, and I love popping in while I'm at the mall just to see what's new.

Amazon.com. They have everything. Seriously. It's ridiculous the amount of cool stuff I can find there, as my wishlist proves.

On a final note, please don't get me Target gift cards. I spend enough time (and money, unfortunately) there on my own without having extra insentive to buy things. I'd much rather go out shopping and make an event out of my present than have it turn into something I got on a 15 minute break. If possible, I'd like to spend it in my benefactor's presense, so my appriciation can be, um, appriciated?

Please though, don't go overboard. I know Danny put money on his list last year, but I don't want money. I'd much more enjoy stuff. ^_^

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home