Sunday, August 27, 2006

Imaginary Weapons and A Madman Dreams...

I've got a couple of books in mind that I'm going to add, both at the same time, for once. There's no real reason for this grouping aside from the fact that I'm too lazy to make a seperate entry for them both tonight. I'll try to be more dilligent in the future.

Honestly, the only thing these books have in common is that I heard about them on TV. Imaginary Weapons: A Journey Through the Pentagon's Scientific Underworld, by Sharon Weinberger, was featured on The Daily Show a few weeks back, when I was on vacation in San Diego. It's about the "fringe science" used by the Pentagon in researching new weapons and defence technologies. Although it sounds like a good plot for a sci-fi story, you'll find the book on the non-fiction shelves, so heads up. Government psychics could be less insane than you think.

The second book I heard about on the Colbert Report. Jenna Levin, the most attractive theoretical physicist I've ever seen, was pitching her novel (yes, this one is fictional) A Madman Dreams of Turing Machines, which deals in another of my favorite subjects, artificial intelligence, with a fictionalization of two of the greatest philosophers on the subject.

People are always telling me I'm not reading enough, so I guess this should be a step in the right direction. And don't worry, I'll add even more books to the list later on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home